Monday, July 31, 2006

Day 2 RAGBRAI Sunday


Well here we are, Katz and the Dogheads, the first day of riding. You can see all the empty grass in the background...well when we went to bed last night is was a tent city...tents as far as you could see. When we finally got on the road, the tents were all gone. We were pretty much the last bunch of 10,000 people to leave this morning!
Sean stayed behind to pack the van, we had WAY too much crap, and to drive it to the halfway town where we would meet up and I would drive the vanto the sleepover town. Naomi, Michelle and I started out with the girls at about 8:30am. We had a great ride, it was hot but we stopped in one town for breakfast burritos and water refills, and coffee. There were LOTS of big hills but it was fun to crank the bike down to "granny gear" climb the hill at the pace of a turtle and then go as fast as I could back down again, cooling off. If anyone ever says Iowa is flat...they are lying! It was a peaceful ride for me and I eventually got ahead of the girls and rode on my own (with 10,000 strangers). I did find Patty and Dave at Mr. Porkchop's stand and sat and chatted with them for a while.
We had a very good meet up Karma this trip. We always managed to find each other, in all the towns without much effort. When I pulled into the halfway town I pretty much ran right into Sean and the kids. Wierd. 10 minutes later Michell and gang showed up so we all got something to eat and drink and did the big switch. It took forever and we were boiling in the heat and sun but eventually they all took off and I drove to the sleepover town, found team RADPAN to camp by, cruised around town on my bike and waited for our team to get in. When the finally did we rode ove to the local pool, cooled off, showered (freezing) and found something to eat. Most of the vendors were done since it was so late (around 8:30pm)so we had to scrounge a little. I had my first of many pork burgers to come.....no losing weight on this trip! Back to the tents, by the time we got the kids ready for bed and ourselves...it was easy to pass out! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

ChristyR said...

What an experience! I told my husband all about it when he called today and how we would love to do something like that! So cool. So great. What a memory for your family! Keep 'em coming!

Cicada said...

Wow, that's so cool about how you'd find each other eventually. I bet the water felt so good after that heat!

I can just imagine flying down those hills, I bet that was a rush!

Anxiously awaiting the next chapter!