Saturday, August 01, 2009

RAGBRAI Day 2

St. Charles to Indianola
27.8 miles
Finally, we are off! A half day today. Off to an easy start. We drove to St. Charles after a little back roads detour...someone wasn't paying attention to the route very well...ahem...yeah, me.

So we found a really cool KYBO in St. Charles. Gavin had to try it out right away since he was wearing his Sponge Bob jersey. I think it got his seal of approval...and probably a little extra sprinkle because he was so excited.

The sight of a few thousand people in biking gear invading a little town's main street never gets old. It is always amazing.

Sean was pulling quite the load this year...the kids each 10 pounds heavier and then he rigged their little roadbike to tow so they could take turns riding it once we were out of the heavy bike traffic. He's totally nuts.

Gabby got to ride first. The kids really did a great job!

DO you see that boy? THAT is why I have to ride ahead of them. I can't bear to watch the things the kids are doing behind Sean...scares the heck out of me! Dad is oblivious as usual...

Ahhhhh, remember the hills of Iowa.

Always a fire truck to climb on in between towns. :)

Normally we get a few firehouse pancake breakfasts in on RAGBRAI. Not this year since we only rode 2 mornings. But we did get a yummy fire house spaghetti dinner in Indianola. Delish!

For dessert, homemade ice cream.

2 comments:

Cicada said...

Haha, too funny about the sponge bob porta. Love the family shot... damn those hills are HUGE, I would never last. Oy, it is probably good you can't see your monkey boy back there doing that stuff, LOL, check him out...

Nicole said...

So glad I found some time to check blogs today, I love reading about the RAGBRAI fun! Looks like it was another great time, can wait to hear and see more.