Here I am in my Mom's tummy in 1970....my sister sent this little email about this. It really helps me put a lot into perspective! I changed a little at the end...put the respnsibility into our own hands.Enjoy!
Those Born 1930-1979
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes. Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose! and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we were not overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 ! channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms....... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!
Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever! The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
If YOU are one of them...CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before we regulated so much of our own lives for our own good ..While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky ) that our parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

6 comments:
love it!!!!
I've seen this one before, but loved reading it again, totally worth blogging. makes me realize why I parent the way I do and I like that.
Yeah, it makes you feel like whatever you're managing to do as a parent, you are doing just FINE-! :) Gotta love that, since usually we're busy feeling like we don't do enough!!
LOVE the photo of your mom--too fun.
okay I'm confused..is it your birthday and if not when?
Yup- my mom smoke while pregnant with me, I've never worn a bike helmet... the list goes on and on. And I'm still doing well as a human. I really wonder how things will be by the time I have children. Will 5 year olds "need" cell phones by then?
I so love this....btw Did you know that this is a Country Song? Its by Bucky Covington (an American Idol runner up guy) Will try and find and send you the link.
Post a Comment